Thursday, September 20, 2018

Lisa was mom at age 16

Didn't know Lisa was a mom at age 16?  Her baby might have been 10 years old, but regardless she was a mom.  This story might be painful to write, but I can't come up with another one so it must be the one I need to write.  This was a bewildering time for me and I am sure it was as bad or worse for Lisa and Daniel.  We found ourselves suddenly alone in the world and I for one was scared to death about how to run a house, work a full time job, and care for 2 kids all at the same time.  My biggest concern was Daniel, the 10 year old baby.  How was I going to get him where he needed to go when I was at work?  Who would supervise his shenanigans?  Who would keep him fed?  As it turned out Lisa became a second mom for him.  She could drive and carted him around as needed, she kept her thumb on him to keep him from straying too far from normalcy, and she kept him fed.  In fact she pretty much helped run the household.  She even called 911 and went with him to the hospital when he chopped his fingers in the snow blower.  (I was at work- not just busy watching TV)  Lisa even learned to play the song No Blue Thing and would play it while I laid on the couch and imagined a life that wasn't sad anymore.  For all of this I feel really bad.  Here was a 16 year old kid who normally would be busy planning subterfuge to keep her parents off track of what she was really up to and  instead she had been drafted into the ranks of parenthood herself.  I feel any day now I will receive the summons to appear in a counseling courtroom to be condemned as a failed parent and Lisa will demand restitution.  My only hope is that my free babysitting of Noah will make her think twice before getting too heavy handed with me.  I think it is the only card I have to play in this situation and I plan to use it as needed.  As for Daniel, well, she could be bitter about him too, but I think that just the knowledge that she helped turn a kid with a skull full of mush into a scholar working on his Dr. degree must make her feel all the trouble was worth it.  Kind of how most parents feel about their kids in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment