Monday, September 24, 2018

David in slow mow

Why was I yelling at David telling him to get his butt over to Mrs. Shoup's and and not come  back until her lawn was mowed?  It was an exasperating time with David working for Mrs. Shoup that summer.  I knew he didn't like mowing her lawn, I knew she was kind of hard to work for, and David had told me how difficult it was to mow around all the trees in her orchard and other obstacles in her yard.  But I was getting really tired of finding him on the old computer in the basement working on one of his video game programs and learning that he was just taking a break from mowing and still had more to go.  I figured he just needed to stick with it and get it done.  It was taking him a couple hours or more to get the lawn mowed with all those breaks he was taking.  I figured Mrs. Shoup was good training for whatever future boss he might run into, in the real world bosses are not always easy to work for.  So that day after finding him home a couple times taking breaks from the lawn mowing job I just lost my temper and scolded him and sent him back over to get it done.  After that I don't remember it being such a problem.  David finished out the summer mowing her lawn without further incident between us.  Although he did seem a little sulky about it.  The next summer David moved on to some other work and Lisa took over the mowing job at Mrs. Shoup's.  She was younger than David and I was a little worried it would be too much for her especially since David had to work at it so hard the year before.  The time came for Lisa to mow and I wondered how it would go, but before I knew it she was home.  I figured she had learned from David and came home for a break before going back and finishing the lawn.  But no, she said she was done.  I'm was a little puzzled, "didn't you mow the whole lawn?"  "Yes, the whole lawn" she said.  It had only been about an hour or less, I couldn't believe it.  And that was how it went every time she mowed, she just went over to Mrs. Shoup's and mowed and got done quick and came home, no breaks, no stalling.  I figured after that David must have hated mowing so much that he just could hardly force himself to do it.  Especially when that old computer in the basement still had a half finished computer game to program.  Now I can say I am glad he is a professional computer programmer rather than a professional lawn mower so I guess it all worked out good in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment