Friday, March 30, 2012

I really do have a hobby

All my adult life I have been painfully aware that unlike other men, I have been hobby less. From my 20's to the 50's I have seen my friends, relatives and acquaintances hunt, fish, ride motorcycles, race cars, collect stamps, guns or knives. Some have become fans to college and professional sports teams. But alas, there was never a hobby that worked for me.

But I have good news now! It finally came to me that I DO have a hobby and I have been busy with my hobby for years. I just never called it a hobby.

My hobby I finally realized, is that I buy used cars that I think are roadworthy vehicles that will require little more than gas and oil to sustain them for years of trouble free driving only to find that my vehicle of choice no matter what color when I buy it quickly starts to turn a bright shade of lemon yellow as soon as it is parked in my driveway.

So then the fun begins- I've replaced many engines, transmissions, drive axles, brakes, and even fuel pumps that can only be removed after the gas tank is dropped out of the vehicle- a special treat for anyone who has not been initiated in removing rusty gas tanks.

Not only have I spent countless hours pursuing my hobby, but I have spent thousands of dollars also. This hobby is not for the faint of heart or the pauper.

Some would say I should just buy better cars- but then what would I do with all my idle time and where would I spend all my excess money? This hobby has filled my life with physical and financial challenges. What more could I ask?

Now, Daniel is coming home soon, I just keep thinking that the little blue 1989 Volvo DL240 that is sitting at Joe's junkyard would be a great summer car for him. I think it would be very reliable....

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dad,

    You want to work on our car while you're up next week? I wouldn't ask except I know you have so much fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to in order to make the trip back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you liked working on cars so much! I'm glad that I'm bringing mine home next week for you. I wouldn't want to deprive you of your joy in life : )

    ReplyDelete