Sunday, November 18, 2018

Mom bought me a clock

Years ago I went to visit my Mom and she told me she had bought me a grandfather clock at a yard sale.  I was excited because at that time I was a fan of grandfather clocks and wanted one. Then she told me it only cost her 10 dollars and my excitement level went down a notch or two.  I thought that either she got the deal of a lifetime or there was something lacking in this grandfather clock she bought me.  She told me it was in her mini van and was too heavy and awkward for her to get out so I could go get it out for myself.  When I saw the grandfather clock she got me I was more than disappointed.  Instead of a real clock made from  real cherry or walnut wood with a mechanical mechanism I found a cheap particle board and plastic cased clock with a battery operated clock mechanism.  The sight of that clock triggered my disgust of all the times she bought cheap imitations of something good and thought it was good when it really wasn't.  It also triggered my annoyance with her habit of shopping for things just to boost her mood and then trying to cram everything she owned into her living space and then frequently telling me how unhappy she was with all the clutter around her and how much she would love to have a more open uncluttered home.  Not to mention the fact that getting her to part with anything- junk or otherwise was almost impossible.  Right then and there I decided it was lesson time for Mom,  I was not about to take that cheap grandfather clock out of her van, that clock represented everything I did not like about my Mother and it could sit in her van and rot as far as I was concerned.  So I went back in the house and basically told her the clock was no good, I didn't want it, and I wasn't taking it.  She asked what she should do with it then and I basically told her I didn't care, it was her problem.  I went home annoyed but satisfied that I had finally showed her the error of her way, maybe this would be the turning point when she would stop buying all this junk and start getting rid of it- I could only hope.  A few days later we talked on the phone and she told me the clock was still in her van and she didn't know what to do with it.  I started to feel a little sorry for her so I said I would take it and put it in my garage.  So there it has sat these past 5 or so years just collecting dust and not keeping time because it didn't work when she bought it- did I tell you that yet?  That the stupid thing didn't even work?  As time has gone by (not that the clock could tell you) and Mom has passed away I realized this was a clock with a story and since I hadn't the heart to throw it out yet, perhaps I should fix it and make it at least useful.  This past week I brought it in the house, dusted it off and installed a new battery operated mechanism in it and then put it back out in the garage.  At least now it works.  That is the least this clock can do for me, but it does more- it is a reminder.  It reminds me of my Mom and her flawed ways and it reminds me of me and my flawed ways too, although it seems to me my flawed ways are not nearly as bad as her flawed ways.  Hmm, maybe that is flawed thinking too....  By the way, when Mom died we had a LOT of junk to get rid of, it appears my little lesson did not work.

1 comment:

  1. Now, how many people can say they have a grandfather clock in their garage?? Pretty classy, Dad, pretty classy. Grandma would be proud.

    ReplyDelete